June 8, 2006

Calories per pound

The grueling 15 minutes on the treadmill almost caused me to pass out. To my dismay, the display announced that I had burned a paltry 100 calories. How many calories are there per pound of weight anyway? The news, was disheartening, a quick Google search shows that there are a whopping 3,500 calories per pound of weight. Hmmm, according to my calculations, that's 8.75 hours on the treadmill per pound.

Posted by torque at 3:10 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Losing Weight

According to the FDA,

"Men and very active women may need up to 2,500 calories daily. Other women and inactive men need only about 2,000 calories daily. A safe plan is to eat 300 to 500 fewer calories a day to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week."
I never had to worry about this sort of thing before, but now that my metabolism is no longer keeping up with my appetite, well... some of you know how it is.

Posted by torque at 3:01 AM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

March 17, 2005

What is Phood?

Phood, according to phrases.org, is pharmaceuticals + food, food "enhanced with nutritional supplements that promise a bevy of health benefits." While a new trend, the concept isn't new at all. Baby milk powder, for example, is very much enhanced. Also, consider Morton Salt, with iodine. Packaged Facts places total retail sales of phood, including beverages, at $16.2 billion in 2004. They actually tracked $7.3 billion, a quarter of which were beverages. I wonder, does vitamin-C enhanced Hi-C count? Clif and Luna Bars certainly do.

Posted by torque at 10:11 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 26, 2005

What makes Kerns All Nectar so good?

I'll tell you. The fruit helps, but the main ingredient is corn syrup. Shocking isn't it? The not from concentrate label had me believing that the flavor was all fruit - even though it clearly says that it is only 25% fruit juice. I guess always just assumed that the other 75% was water. The website calls Kerns "a healthy tropical fruit beverage" "because your family deserves nothing but the best". Doesn't Oscar look healthy?

Posted by torque at 9:32 PM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 14, 2005

Churrasco-rodizio

Upon entry, you are handed small wooden cylinder. One end is painted green, and the other red. Green means "bring it on" and red "I need a break".

I encountered my first rodizio in Dallas while consulting several years ago. The term comes from roda, Portuguese for wheel. The rodizio is an endless rotation of meats. Waiters come around every few minutes to carve the next selection into your plate - a carnivore's jukebox. Aside from various cuts of beef, chicken, lamb, pork and fish, you are typically offered, in a full buffet, a huge array of surprisingly scrumptious salads, pastas and vegetables. Of course, these are to distract you from the more expensive meats.

Churrasco is a method of preparing meat. An old cowboy tradition from the South American pampas, it is "a large portion of skewered meat, simply seasoned with salt only, and grilled over an open flame from a glowing charcoal." The churrascaria, a restaurant in which churrasco is carved at the table is only a few decades old. Prior to that, churrasco was confined to family reunions or the ranch.

You can find Churrasco-rodizio at Cafe do Brasil where it is served Thu-Sun, 5:30-9 p.m. Renoir Hotel, 1106 Market, S.F., 415/626-6432, $18.95. For more Brazilian barbeque, visit San Francisco Bay Guardian superlist #764. Want to start your own churrascaria? Check out erganutri.

Posted by torque at 12:32 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 13, 2005

A capybara connoisseur

My search is over. Professor Acacio de Barros, a colleague visiting from Brazil, has eaten capybara, or, more properly in Portuguese, capivara. He reports that, while hard to find, capivara is quite tender and tasty. "It isn't gamey at all like you would expect it to be, but more like a mild pork," he said, "I prefer it over pork." It can be found in select barbeque places, rodizios. He was not sure about the price, since rodizios, being all-the-meat-you-can-eat kind of places, don't really reveal that information. Apparently, most people in Brazil do not know that the capivara is a rodent. Eating habits would probably change given the modern day culture of picky eating. Other fun animals in Brazil, though not for eating, include the cotia, a micro-capivara found in downtown Rio, and the anta, also known as tapir, found in the rainforests.

Posted by torque at 11:58 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 5, 2005

BBQ Opossum

1 opossum, skinned and cleaned
Prepared barbecue sauce

Clean opossum taking care to remove scent glandsunder limbs

Marinate in buttermilk or yogurt Cut opossom in half
Pot roast opossom with salt, pepper and 1 tbsp. sugar till tender.
Place on rack and roast at 300 degrees F. about 1 hours. Baste frequently with barbecue sauce. Mmmmm.

Source: huntingsociety.org

Posted by torque at 6:03 PM | Comments (2) | TrackBack